Dr. Rose will discuss the physical and online spaces of activism and protest events in the 20th and 21st century, including the use of social media as a tool for organizing in cases like Standing Rock. As a historian, she examines the changing modes of protest events as well as common practices between activist communities.
Shelley Rose, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of History at Cleveland State University who specializes in protest history and digital humanities. She is the author of several articles on gender, protest, and European history and leads the Protest Spaces transnational research network.
Free and open to the public. Peace@ThePub is a monthly meeting featuring interesting conversation, camaraderie, food and drink.
Read more about Cleveland Peace Action here: https://www.peaceactioncleveland.org/
Cleveland Peace Action is a convergence of people committed to ending violence and promoting justice, through education, advocacy and action. Our current priorities include:
- Ending wars and U.S. military interventions, replacing them with engagement and diplomacy, in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela and Iran.
- Cutting Pentagon spending and redirecting those funds for human needs, such as education, housing, transportation and health care.
- Peace with justice for all, in the Middle East and in particular, an end to the oppression of Palestinians.
- Reducing and ultimately abolishing nuclear weapons worldwide.
- Partnering with local groups to end violence and injustice in our communities.
- Working for environmental justice and addressing global climate change.